PREPARING TO STUDY
Your Future, Our Commitment: Begin Your LIU Story Now
Studying with us in 2022 is about putting your education and your future first. This is your time.
You’ve Been Admitted – What’s Next?
Setting Up Your MyLIU Account
To activate your MyLIU account, follow these steps:
- Go to my.liu.edu and click on "Sign Up for MyLIU”.
- The first field asks for your Social Security Number. Enter your LIU ID Number here – you can find this number in your official LIU acceptance letter.
- Enter your date of birth as shown.
- Enter the security code.
- Click “Activate.”
If you need assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you’ve been admitted, your advisor will meet with you virtually to help you register for your classes.
Before classes begin, LIU will host an orientation for you. Specific information on your orientation will be shared in the lead up to the start of the semester.
Joining Us On Campus
To join us in person at LIU, you will need a visa. A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a U.S. port of entry and request permission from the U.S. immigration officer to enter the country. The visa does not guarantee entry into the U.S. Most non-U.S. citizen students will apply for an F-1 (non-immigrant) student visa, but there are several other types of visa international students coming to the U.S. can sometimes obtain.
An F-1 visa is for individuals who wish to study at an accredited U.S. university or to study English at a university or intensive English language institute.
Once you have been accepted onto your chosen degree program, uploaded the required financial documents, and paid your deposit, we will issue a Form I-20 from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once you have received this, you can apply for a visa to study in the U.S. at LIU.
Steps to Obtain a Student Visa
Applying for a student visa may seem complex, but with our easy-to-follow visa process steps, it should be pain-free.
- Receive your I-20 from LIU and review it carefully.
- Pay the SEVIS fee online at fmjfee.com. If you are transferring your I-20, you will not need to pay the SEVIS fee.
- Complete the form DS-160 to begin the visa process.
- Book and prepare for your visa interview. You will need to bring some supporting documents.
- Attend your visa interview at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy.
- Wait for your F-1 entry visa. Contact the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your country for more information about the procedure for applying for a student visa. For full visa guidance, visit travel.state.gov
Please notify LIU and let us know about your visa status.
When should I apply for a visa?
As visa applications and processing can take some time, it is best to apply as early as possible. We recommend that you apply for your visa as soon as you have all the required documentation.
Before You Arrive on Campus
Before you come to New York, you will need to make travel plans and prepare to arrive on campus. To make sure you’re ready, be sure to follow the steps below, all within your MyLIU student portal:
- Apply for your chosen on-campus housing
- Submit the $300 housing deposit
- Update your emergency contact information
- Submit documentation of compliance with the University Immunization Policy
- Register for your classes
- Collect your original transcripts, English test scores, high school graduation certificate, and medical immunization records to bring with you to campus
- Pay tuition and fees according to your invoice
- Notify LIU of your travel plans
Please use your official name (name on your passport and what you used to apply to LIU) on all forms and correspondence.